Wednesday, June 11, 2008

And the Estonian Army was on her side.

I am not in the middle of no where. I am in the middle of Estonia. The past few days have been crazy good. I have decided that it is nice going to countries that no one really knows much about because there are no expectations in what you have to see etc. My first afternoon in Tallinn was great. I wandered the streets of the city center with three young Finnish guys (who were on there way to Germany to buy a car because it is so much cheaper) and had a great little picnic in this park. After they took off to catch their flight I met up with Angelo, a guy that I met over couchsurfing, for a drink. For those of you who are somewhat literate in the running of couchsurfing it is somewhat common that the person that you are hoping to stay with isn't available to host you but wouldn't mind meeting up for coffee or whatever. I have debated over and over "what is the point"? but now I have the answer. The point is you meet the most bad ass Italian that just so happens to be incredibly plugged into the music scene in Italy and is in charge of putting on week long festivals etc. That is why you agree to meet up for a drink.

Martin turned out to be a dream boat with icing on top. I have found that the "connecting" part of the whole couchsurfing deal can sometime be the hardest part, especially when you are like me and don't have a mobile like every other human being on the planet. What do they look like? Where is the easiest place to meet? What happens if plans slightly go awry? Well, with Martin it was as though we were destined to meet. For some reason, within the hotel, I feel like even if I didn't have a noticeable bag with me we would have spotted each other with the same broad smiles that we did when we saw each other. It was automatic chemistry as we glided down the street towards Martin's flat attempting to walk as fast as he was talking. Crazy bastard. The nerves he had. He talked as though his very breath could be stolen from him at any moment and although an avid smoker I dare say he barely had a successful inhalation without chasing the smoke away with some new found idea to blurt out. It was love at first sight. It is also official: I consistently meet the pregnant women and the gays of the world. If only I could bring them all together under one roof.....camaraderie for future mothers and lovers for all the lovely boys I have come across.

I couldn't speak more highly of Martin, in fact, I wish it was possible to make a mini-martin-travel-companion. You know, the kind that I can stick in my pocket and take out in those most desperate times? Martin's flat was previously shared with Francesco, yet another Italian, and although I didn't have the pleasure of meeting him, I did have the pleasure of reading the kitchen walls and all that the ladies who "met" him had to say about there experiences. I am under the impression that he was a full fledged Exhibit A Italian. I can't really describe the feeling that I had while in that flat but it seemed familiar. It had a very old world, dingy feel, with writings on the walls, and although basically empty it echoed of parties and wild nights. The light affected the air in a static sort of way. Always somewhat lit but basically shadowed no matter what time of day. As you walked barefoot through the halls and rooms the cities sounds came in through the open windows and I felt as though I should have been in a white t-shirt and underwear with some sort of beverage in one hand and a cigarette in the other. I will miss it there and who knows, maybe I will be back someday when the assistant needs an assistant.

Last night Martin took me on a date to the movies. Basically, we saw the worst movie ever and the best possible choice for both of our brains and hearts......Prom Night? So terrible, but so perfect? We met Alo or "the lady of the house. He was straight out of the bird cage minus the clogs but with an umbrella in hand. Love love love love.

Martin and I said our goodbyes and I hit the road this afternoon. It didn't take me but five minutes before I got picked up and I am pleased to say that if I ever find myself in any sort of trouble I can call Captain Viktor Lillepruun of the Estonian Army to bail me out. Not only did he buy me lunch at this really great little roadside attraction but I watched them catch the fish that I ate! So crazy. After two or so hours of driving I am now in Tartu waiting to meet up with one of Martin's friends from way back when. She will put me up for a night or so and then....Latvia?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww, you are too sweet!!!