Saturday, May 31, 2008

motion [moh-shuh n]

1.the action or process of moving or of changing place or position; movement.
2.power of movement, as of a living body.
3.the manner of moving the body in walking; gait.
4.a bodily movement or change of posture; gesture.
5.a proposal formally made to a deliberative assembly: to make a motion to adjourn.
6.Law. an application made to a court or judge for an order, ruling, or the like.
7.a suggestion or proposal.
8.an inward prompting or impulse; inclination: He will go only of his own motion.
9.Music. melodic progression, as the change of a voice part from one pitch to another.
10.Machinery.
a.a piece of mechanism with a particular action or function.
b.the action of such a mechanism. –verb (used with object)
11.to direct by a significant motion or gesture, as with the hand: to motion a person to a seat. –verb (used without object)
12.to make a meaningful motion, as with the hand; gesture; signal: to motion to someone to come. —Idioms
13.go through the motions, to do something halfheartedly, routinely, or as a formality or façade.
14.in motion, in active operation; moving: The train was already in motion when he tried to board it.

I am not quite sure what it is. I just can't place it. Sometimes I think about it more often then not but I am pretty sure it is the ocean. The motion of the ocean stirs something within me that I am not used to. I once had a friend who skipped a breath at the sight of a moth. They said that a moth flying towards the light, with its wings too fragile to withstand it, but its heart too lustful to resist it, was how they felt about the world. I never quite understood how someone could become so moved by a moth but then I recognize the stillness in me and the breath that is taken when I look out to the sea. There is an unrest that only the undertoes can realate to. Smooth as slate the water can be but it will never deny the slightest ripple to burrow within its calm. I have felt a feeling of content here in Dalarö that I havent felt for a long time but one look at where stillness meets motion and I cant deny the urge to move on. Today, Anna, Felicia, and myself spent time on an island only a ferry ride away, absorbing all the sun was willing to give and being reminded of it by the redness in our cheeks. There is nothing like a day with the girls. I think Patrick Swayze and Wesley Snipes spoke of it best. Sure they were drag queens, but even they could rustle the feathers of any woman at the mention of a day with the girls. We ate and laughed equally enough that at the end of the day I am not sure why my stomach hurts more. Felicia ran and I ran with her and we giggled in our own languages but still were able to understand that it was all about the fun and nothing at all about the talk. We blew dandelion kites into our faces and smelled lilacs and examined bugs and bunnies. The girls will be missed and I cant help but hope that one day, say when Felicia is 20 or so, she comes and visits wherever I may be in the world on her own great adventure.

Last night the paddlers reconviended in Nacka for a meal to die for. The pastries I baked were good but not nearly as good as the company. They also disapeared quickly while the conversations lasted for hours. Due to recently developed car troubles we went by boat...........skipping from land mass to land mass by stretches of water is the most incredible means of transportation I have come across and I am sad to leave it behind. The next boat I catch will be to Finland and the journey is in motion once again.

Here's to the girls, to the sweet Swedish boys, to the not too sweet not so Swedish boy, and to the sea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love the movement i hear in your writing, as well as your subtle and not so subtle movements inside, with people, and to new adventures! i wish i could see some of what you are seeing! love cara