Thursday, July 24, 2008

Cultural Differences

This morning I was woken up by the mother of Petr at 6:00 in the morning asking what I wanted for breakfast.  I looked up at her with hazy eyes, saw her smile widely at me and walk away laughing out loud.  Petr rolled over which forced me to roll over because if one person rolls over in a twin bed while sharing it with another the other must roll over unless they want to fall out of the bed.  I opened my eyes and started laughing too.  There were Petr's two older brothers sleeping in a bunk bed three feet away.  Best morning ever.  

Last night was the first night I escaped the unending property line of my home in Habří.  Karel, Zuzana, and the girls went to Holland for the week and I have had the house to myself.  So, yesterday after work I called Petr up to hang out.  His brother Paul, who actually speaks English after working in Ireland for a year and half, picked me up and took me to Strážek, which is a neighboring town of Habří and also where all the guys live.  It was so great.  We all hung out at the pub, laughed, played foosball, drank beer.  It was such a relief to hang out with middle class, average human beings of the Czech Republic.  I had no reason to go home and Petr and Paul assured me it would be fine to stay at theirs.  We got there, all a little slurred at that point in the night, and I was marched right upstairs where Petr's father stood in the hallway.  He began saying something to me but didn't have the chance to finish before Petr told him that I didn't speak Czech.  His dad gave me a broad smile and seemed very pleased that his sons had brought home a nice American girl.  When I walked into the bedroom I then realized that the three of us and Petr's other older brother were all sleeping in the same room.  And here is where the cultural difference thing comes in.  Remember Kristine from Latvia and the orgasmic presentation she so readily and casually brought upon my life.....

Well, I think it is a general rule, in my mind at least, that if you are sleeping in a small room with a bunch of other people the last thing that would come into any of their minds is the possibility that anyone will be having sex.  Not here.  I hop into handmedown pajamas from someone's drawer and witness one brother say something along the lines of "Oh, you are having a girl sleep over?  Here are some condoms....good night"  WHAT?!  How is this possible?  Did he literally hand his little brother condoms and lie down in the bed to go to sleep three feet away?!  So weird.  

Anyways.  Waking up to three boys alternating farts in the morning (there is no place like feeling like you are at home) and sitting down at the kitchen table being poked and questioned about my whereabouts etc.  It was all so fabulous.  Petr's family was like a breath of fresh air.  His mother was stunning and stunned and such an admirable woman living in a house with five men.  Oh wait I have done that...yep, didn't make it.  His youngest brother, who was around seven or eight, was the cutest of them all, and I can't wait to go back.  

As for the farm.  I came back early this morning and ditched the rake for a paintbrush.  I will be staining picket fences for the rest of my life here.  

No comments: