Tuesday, July 8, 2008

on the side

The lights are dark here.
Not dark enough to swallow the grinding of your teeth
In the night I can hear your breath
and imagine that it deports itself from the bed.
I miss the silent snores of nights slept alone.

The lights are brighter here.
They tilt small reflections from some source unknown.
I connect the dots and sing along with songs of dinosaurs.
A kite slips from a side and I watch it dance up into the sky.
As if we never knew each other.
My back finds friends among blades of wet grass.
Pressed beneath me.

The lights are blinding now
as I sway my hips and shake my head back and forth to the beat.
The beat.  They dance to the beat.  One comes closer.
Not close enough.
When you dance in a crowd you are never alone.
Yet loins cry out to loins for closer company.

The lights here have gone.
I am left to watch grey become more grey
and the motion of black is now familiar.
I remember the times when a light in the darkness
was held for a while
like a mother and child
I will hold you a while.
I remember the times when I secretly sang you to sleep
in fear that you might hear what I was singing.

com on and linger here
a little longer here
a little longer here
I want to linger
a little longer 
I want to linger here with you.

......we will rock on the water

I flick the switch and the lights blink into existence.

No comments: